Changing The Way, You Think About You: How to Rethink Your Way To A Happier Life
Here’s a quiz to help you identify behaviors that may be undermining your self-confidence and preventing you from living the life you desire. Respond with a simple “yes” or “no” answer to each statement and then tally up the number of yeses.
1. I often compare myself to others.
2. I make decisions based on what others tell me I should do.
3. I would have to honestly say I sometimes take my family for granted.
4. I find myself thinking more about the past or worrying more about the future instead of focusing on what’s happening in the present moment.
5. I often give up on my goals when things aren’t going my way.
6. I believe that if I do something less than perfect, I’ve failed.
7. I play it safe. Taking risks is not for me.
8. I sometimes believe I will never fall in love, and if I do it won’t last.
9. I used to dream about the life I wanted, but not anymore. Dreams are a waste of time.
10. I’m always rushing to get things done and seldom have time to “smell the roses.”
Did you respond with “yes — that describes me” — to more than 2 or 3? It’s ok if you did because there’s no pass or fail. The purpose of the quiz is to increase your awareness of thoughts and behaviors you can change that will make a positive difference in how you see yourself and react to those around you.
The quiz is based on one of my favorite poems by Nancye Sims called “A Creed to Live By.” I’m including it below, followed by a modified version that exams each statement and thoughts triggered for me that changed my thinking and put me on the path to experience a more fulfilling life. I hope they will help you as well.
A CREED TO LIVE BY
Don’t undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others.
It is because we are different that each one of us is special.
Don’t set your goals by what other people deem important.
Only you know what is best for you.
Don’t take for granted the things closest to your heart.
Cling to them as you would your life, for without them life is meaningless.
Don’t let your life slip through your fingers by living in the past or for the future. By living your life one day at a time you live all the days of your life.
Don’t give up when you still have something to give.
Nothing is really over until the moment you stop trying.
Don’t be afraid to admit that you are less than perfect.
It is this fragile thread that binds us to each other.
Don’t be afraid to encounter risks.
It is by taking chances that we learn how to be brave.
Don’t shut love out of your life by saying it’s impossible to find.
The quickest way to receive love is to give love.
The fastest way to lose love is to hold it too tightly.
The best way to keep love is to give it wings.
Don’t dismiss your dreams.
To be without dreams is to be without hope
To be without hope is to be without purpose.
Don’t run through life so fast that you forget
not only where you’ve been, but also where you’re going.
Life is not a race, but a journey to be savored each step of the way.
- Nancye Sims
RETHINKING YOUR THINKING
Thoughts become behaviors that become habits.
After a while, we just react to people and situations in the same defeatist way that keeps us stuck in a negative mindset. The glass is always half empty so why bother.
Stop it right now!
You can rethink your way to a happier life. I’m including my thoughts in italics below and know that you will have some of your own ahas! to add to the list, so you can begin turning your yeses to the statements in the quiz to “no’s.”
- Don’t undermine your worth by comparing yourself with others. It is because we are different that each one of us is special.
How often do we end up feeling inferior when we compare ourselves to others? The reality is that each one of us is different — not better than or worse than — only different.
2. Don’t set your goals by what other people deem important. Only you know what is best for you.
>>> Continue reading the full article here: Changing The Way, You Think About You: How to Rethink Your Way To A Happier Life
Over the past 30 years, Rita Burgett Martell has provided career and change management coaching to thousands of individuals across multiple industries, professions, and countries. She is the author of two books: “Change Ready!” and “Defining Moments: Seizing the Power of Change to Create the Life You Want.”
Originally published at https://ritaburgettmartell.wordpress.com on June 22, 2020.